Fair enough. I feel like perhaps this reader is concerned that I'm neglecting my children in order to write some silly little posts and run a few giveaways. For that, I say "thank you." I always value friends who are looking out for my children as much as I do.
So I'd like to explain how I blog. It's not a defense of what I do with my time, as much as a desire for you all to understand how I make it work on my end, keeping in mind that every single day is different over here so it doesn't always go exactly according to plan.
- The majority of my blogging is done after 8pm. Our kids are in bed by then, and I can sit on the couch and watch movies with my hubby while tapping away on my computer. Generally, I do more writing than watching. I don't do much writing during the day for three reasons.
- My kids are awake and I can't concentrate long enough to get anything out. Hey, I'd be happy with just going to the bathroom during the day and knowing no one will get in trouble. I know, I'm a big dreamer, right?
- My kids are awake and need me. Yesterday, I was reading some books to a few of them in the living room, and I suddenly heard the sound of food being unwrapped around the corner. We have pantry racks at our house because we don't have the cabinet space to store food. Abby had scaled one of the pantry racks, helped herself to a package of unopened cookies, ripped the packaging open with her teeth, and started shoving them in her mouth as fast as she could. Smashed cookies were all of the floor, chocolate was all over her face and hands, and the other kids had realized that treats were within reach. All that to say, blogging is just about impossible when they are awake!
- I do still actually have a household to run with normal things that need to be accomplished! Laundry, meals, cleaning, household paperwork, etc.
- If anyone has been watching when posts are published, they will notice that I don't post something everyday. In fact, I generally post every other day. I spend the off evening (after 8pm) blogging, and then finish the post and publish it the next night. I would personally love to blog more often, but I just can't do that with the time that I have. Almost all of my posts are published between 8:30pm-10pm in the evenings because that's when I have the chance to write them.
- I use part of my kids' rest and nap time to do some of the back end work on the blog. I'm honestly surprised how much non-blogging work a blog takes! The writing is actually the easiest and least time consuming part.
What's important is different for everyone, but for me, making time to blog about raising our family makes the cut. And since I enjoy it, that's just an extra bonus!