- First Post: Essential Oils: Do they really work or is it all just hype?
- Second Post: Essential Oils: The German, British, and French Schools of Thought
- Third Post: Essential Oils: To Ingest or Not to Ingest? (and how I ended up picking my method)
- Fourth Post: Essential Oils: Which Essential Oil Company is Best? (and reviews of 5 popular companies!)
I wasn't overly thrilled when I found out what the best, most effective, most affordable essential oil company was.
Oh, I know that sounds backwards. Wouldn't I be thrilled to have finally landed on the company that we were going to use. Well....
Here's my fear. I'm a blogger, right? I help support my family with this blog. It's great! But I never, and I mean NEVER post things that I can't get behind 100%. I've turned down more campaigns than I can count because either they weren't relative to me/you or I just couldn't ethically endorse them. As a blogger, my reputation is really all I have in this space. If that is gone...POOF...you might as well move on to another blog.
And that's why I started to get a bit nervous when it became readily apparent which brand of oils were the best. I kept thinking to myself, "My readers will never believe that this is unbiased if I tell them who really won the essential oil battle at our house!"
Gosh, darn it.
But I opened this can of worms, so I guess I best cough up the answer. Just know that as we work through this post, this truly IS the brand that I believe is best. Furthermore, I had actually planned a long post about a different essential oil company that I was going to pair with a giveaway for some of their oils, but I had to scrap the whole thing when the bronchitis kept returning, and I wasn't getting better using them. Not only was it frustrating, it would have been unethical for me to continue with that post after the results I experienced.
So all I ask is that you don't discount what I'm saying or leave until you read the WHOLE post, okay? I mean, you've read this far. You might as well read all of my reasoning and the facts behind my choice.
We chose to use Young Living Essential Oils.
They are hands down the best, most effective, and most affordable essential oil company. And I want to walk you through exactly how it fits my list of requirements.
How are Young Living Essential Oils the Best:
- They are the ONLY company that owns their own farms. Not only that, but they own more than 10,000 acres on six different continents so that they can grow plants in their natural habitats. Plus, they know when to harvest (some plants can only be harvested in a two hour time frame in the mornings in order to maintain their therapeutic value) and have distilleries right on the land.
- They plant on fields that have been untouched by chemicals and follow those plants from seeds all the way to the bottles. "Organic" oils can legally come from GMO seeds, but Young Living takes that a step further by avoiding even those. If it's possible to be more than organic, Young Living has figured out how to do it.
- They have 20 years of experience, and have set the international standard for essential oils.
- They are the ones who invented the stringent tests that essential oil companies use. Most companies don't do all of the tests because they can be pricey, but Young Living conducts them all. On every batch of oil. Every time.
- They only bottle and sell approximately 30% of the essential oils that they distill. The remaining 70% are sold off to other essential oil and soap companies as fragrance oils because they don't meet the extremely high quality control that Young Living has in place.
- They have the most single oils and blends available. And they are all organic!
- They have wholesale pricing available when you buy a membership (like Costco or Sam's Club!)
How are Young Living Essential Oils the Most Effective:
Not all oils are created equal!
The Essential Oils Pocket Reference, Fifth Edition has a section that talks about real lavender oil vs. lavandin (a hybrid) which is often cut with the synthetic linalyl acetate. The adulterated hybrid smells the same and is often sold AS lavender but is definitely not the same. However, companies can produce this synthetic adulterated substance in much larger quantities for a lower cost, so that is often what is passed off for the real thing, "For every kilogram of pure essential oil that is produced, it is estimated that there are between 10 and 100 kilograms of synthetic oil created (p. 22)."
On top of that, The Chemistry of Essential Oils Made Simple says, "A common practice is to take a decent grade of essential oil and dilute it 90% to 95% with an odorless, colorless solvent (usually an inexpensive petrochemical) so that what was a pound of good oil becomes ten or twenty pounds of diluted oils to be sold as if it were the original substance. thus multiplying the profit. Such diluted oils often carry labels saying "Genuine" or "100% pure," which is allowed by the U.S. FDA....Mysteriously, for every pound of frankincense distilled in the world, more than a dozen pounds are eventually sold (p. 12)."
Something's not right here.
Remember how last time we talked about how bottles of essential oil are only required to have 5% of the oil be actually pure? Yeah, what companies are really saying is that the 5% is the 100% pure part of the oil. Sneaky, sneaky! It makes me nervous, and I end up feeling a little bit ripped off when I read that. If I buy a $10 bottle of essential oil from the wrong company, I may actually be buying only $0.50 worth of pure oil and $9.50 worth of filler and synthetic substances. Whoa, not cool!
So the integrity of the oil in the bottle is really important! 5% worth of pure oil is not going to have the same effect as 100% (true, 100%) pure oil. The oils work faster, you need less, and you don't spend as much with a true 100% pure bottle of essential oil.
You must trust the company that you are buying from, and Young Living has proven over and over that they are trustworthy. I don't worry about synthetic substances or diluted bottles with their company.
How are Young Living Essential Oils the Most Affordable:There are cheaper essential oil companies for sure! There is no denying that. But if they don't work, then the oils are a waste of money. That's just logical! The cheaper companies have to be as or more effective than Young Living to even be considered. Or I might as well wallpaper my bathroom with dollar bills, you know what I mean?
But I can actually do one better than just telling you that they are affordable. I can show you! Take a deep breath, because you are about to read through a slew of numbers!
I like cold, hard facts. So I want to show you how I saved money by switching from the other, cheaper essential oil companies to Young Living. Remember that awful 5 weeks of bronchitis that I had earlier this year? If you don't, then please stop right now and go read that post so that you know what I'm talking about. It's really important to have the back story on this.
After unsuccessfully treating my 1st and 2nd rounds of bronchitis with essential oils, I was ready to throw them all in a box and set them out on the curb. But I decided to give it one last try. When my 3rd round of bronchitis popped up, only a few days after finishing the last round of antibiotics, I switched back to Young Living. I told them to tell me exactly what to do and take, and I would see what happened. I figured that I really had nothing to lose at that point.
I actually kept track, drop for drop, exactly which and how much oil I used per their instructions. I also went back and added up what we paid to treat my 2nd round of bronchitis. Just how affordable is Young Living as compared to the conventional ways of treating illnesses?
Total cost was 5.5 hours of time spent waiting for medical attention + $57.87 on the 80/20 portion of our insurance plan. If we hadn't already maxed out our initial deductible (because we've been so sick this year!), then that number would have jumped to $274.15. For ONE round of bronchitis.
What this chart doesn't include is the cost of the over-the-counter meds and cheaper oils that I also used, and the follow-up doctor's appointment and repeat spirometry test and chest x-rays three weeks later to make sure that my lungs were clear. I couldn't fit all of that on the chart! So the number that you see on the chart is just PART of what I actually spent to fix the 2nd round of bronchitis. The number gets much higher when you include everything that I actually spent just for that one illness.
Now let's look at exactly how much oil I used when my 3rd round of bronchitis was kicking up. I started by taking the cost of the bottle of oil (using my wholesale member prices) and dividing it by the number of drops in the bottle so that I would know exactly how many pennies worth I was rubbing, ingesting, and diffusing. We are on a budget over here, so cost is an extremely important factor in decisions we make. Here is what I used:
And here was the timeline:
- Friday evening, I started getting sick again (for the 3rd time)
- Saturday morning, I could tell bronchitis was making a vicious return
- Saturday afternoon, I started using the Young Living oils and the French method of application
- Monday morning, I was remarkably better
- Thursday, I had a small residual cough left related to allergies. But other than that, I was well!
My total? 5 days and $24.41 worth of oils.
$24.41 worth of Young Living oils!
And from that point on, I was 100% sold that Young Living has the Best, Most Effective, and Most Affordable oils.
I SAVED money by switching back to Young Living. Not to mention a lot of miserableness and weeks of down time!
And....I haven't had another recurrence of bronchitis since!
And....I haven't had another recurrence of bronchitis since!
But there was one more thing that I had to deal with. Like I said in my last essential oil post, I had an extremely bad experience with a previous multi-level marketing company. It's made me understandably skittish about getting too close to another one (Side note: I think most of the companies make GREAT products, but generally speaking, people in them can get burned). So I decided to approach this a bit differently than most people would:
1. If you want to try 1 or 2 oils to see if you like them, send me an email, and I'll let you piggy back on my wholesale membership so that you can try them with my 24% discount. No markup. No pressure from me. You just pay my cost. I'm not interested in ever selling these at retail. I'm so serious about this offer. Don't EVER pay retail for these oils. EVER. Just send me an email, and I'll hook you up. theishumquads "at" gmail.com
2. If you like the oils or want to start with the same Premium Starter Kit that I have (highly recommended!), then you can sign up for your own wholesale membership. Full disclosure: I get a commission if you use my membership number as a referral. However, I'm all about the research and education behind oils, so I will take that commission, turn around, and use it to buy and ship you a Welcome Kit. The kit is not put out or created by Young Living, but is has things in it that have been helpful to me, and I think it will be helpful to you as well. It has an Essential Oils Pocket Reference that covers how to use the oils along with a few other items like a dropper bottle for carrier oils and a roll on bottle for easy application. I'll also add you to a really fantastic group for members that I'm in. They give real help in real time to real questions. It's been invaluable. If you want more info on a Young Living membership, my Welcome Kit, or the private FaceBook group, you can jump over to this post. (I had to break it into a separate post because this one is too long!)
I care so much about you using the best, most effective, and most affordable oils, giving your family a leg up when it comes to germs, and making sure that you have the research and education to use oils safely and effectively. Please understand that I'm not saying to abandon modern healthcare. I'm a big fan of integrated medicine, using both modern medicine and essential oils as appropriate. These oils give you one more major item in your arsenal to fight back against illnesses and diseases. I only wish that I had found them years ago.
*deep breath* Sheesh! Can I ramble or what? Are you still with me?
Finally, thanks for following along on my essential oil journey. I hope that you enjoyed reading my research and found it helpful. I'm going to continue researching and learning about these, so stay tuned for some fun things coming up, like, how to make your own all natural lip balm customized with your favorite essential oils! Meanwhile, please head over to the second part of this post for info about getting your own essential oils!
The information contained in these posts are for educational and entertainment purposes only. They are not meant to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or ailment. Please do your own research and make your own informed decisions when you are considering lifestyle and health changes. Particularly if you are pregnant, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a doctor before starting any new protocol. Any links leaving this site are the opinion of the author of those sites and should be treated with the same caution as what you read here. This post may contain affiliate links. For more info, please see my disclaimer page.